VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

UUID needs to keep

Hi Folks - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1541  talks about keeping the UUID, in our case the application needs it to remain the same, but it has changed and every time it does the app licensing breaks.

We applied the setting to the VM config file uuid.action = "Keep"   

However, it testing this out on a test VM and performing a host crash, we now see the VM has a new entry in the config file:

uuid.location = xxxxx  and the UUID here has changed.    

My assumption here is that this location parameter is just for vCenter \ vSphere and the uuid for the bios will still remain the same so the fix will allow the app licensing to stay functional.   

Can anyone confirm this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

could it be that it expects the value to be "keep" instead of "Keep"?

0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for pointing this out, this capitalization error is only in this post, but not a mistake in the config file.   In the config file it is all lower case.   Great eye for detail.  🙂 

0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is what I have found about UUID:  

Within the VMX configuration file the UUID information is stored in three variables: uuid.bios, uuid.location and vc.uuid.

• uuid.bios
    • globally unique identifier
    • generated when a VM is powered on or reset
  • uuid.location
    • hash based on the current path of the VM
    • generated whenever the VM is migrated
  • vc.uuid
    • used by vCenter to identify VM
    • generated when you add VM to inventory (or create VM

The uuid.location value is what is changing, and our team is wondering whether or not this has any affect on the application that wants to see the uuid.bois, it does appear to remain constant now that the uuid.action = "keep' is set

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Normally this shouldn't be a problem, but I am not 100% sure. My recommendation usually is to contact the vendor of the app, as in this day and age of cloud computing this way of licensing etc is not really from this century.

0 Kudos