VMware Cloud Community
User55
Contributor
Contributor

USB passthrough not working anymore since upgrade to 6.7

Hi,

We have a virtual machine that scans USB drives with an anti-virus software when they're plugged in the server, then shares them on our network if they're considered safe.

To do this, we have activated passthrough on the host's USB controllers, and assigned them to the virtual machine.

This was working fine before, but since we upgraded the host from ESXi 5 to 6.7 (U1), it's not working anymore.

When I plug the USB drive, nothing happens on the VM (I can't see it with lsusb).

I tried recreating the VM, I tried with or without additional virtual hardware ("USB controller 2.0/3.0", "USB device"), I tried upgrading the VM from Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04, but I can't get it to work.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Could you help me with this please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

This is fixed since 6.7U1.

https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.7.0.html

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
User55
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

As I said, I'm already in 6.7U1 (build 11675023), but I still have the issue. Or maybe it's a different issue, maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I checked all I could think of and am out of ideas...

I see in your link that there's also a "USB Driver bugfix" in Update 2. Should I upgrade to that?

0 Kudos
kkalirai
Contributor
Contributor

USB pass-through was working great on ESXi 6.0 but foolishly I upgraded 6.7 U1 and USB pass-through stopped working.

Applied U2 - USB pass-through still not working.

Applied U3 - USB pass-through still not working.

I am now on 6.7.0 Update 3, Build 14320388 and USB pass-through is not working, and, to add salt to my wounds, after disabling pass-through, I added a USB Controller to VM and then the three USB disk devices. All working until you power off the VM and USB devices. IT LOSES THE THREE USB DEVICES CONFIGURATION AND YOU HAVE RE-ADD THEM AGAIN!!!! How ridiculous is that, they've broken USB Auto Reconnect as well!.

Very disappointed with ESXi 6.7, seriously considering going back to 6.0.

0 Kudos
DmizersSec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you every resolve this issue. I am currently having the same issue.

Regards,

Dmizer

0 Kudos