VMware Cloud Community
vegemite
Contributor
Contributor

USB drive & 2nd nic IP address

Hi All,

I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I'm struggling to find answers.  The following configurations are easy to do under Xen Server, but seem difficult under VMware ESXi (we want to move from Citrix to VMware).  Can someone please help with the following?

1. Reading a USB driver under the vSphere Client.  I have plugged a USB drive into server, but it doesn't appear under Storage section.  How do I read this drive?  I need to copy off ISO files.

2. Adding an IP address to a 2nd network adapter.  This doesn't seem possible under the ESXi console, I can only change the primary IP address.  I have a new VMkernel under vSphere with the desired IP address on the 2nd nic, however I cannot ping an IP address on the same subnet as the 2nd nic.  Have I set the 2nd nic IP the correct way?

Many thanks!

Ash

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You network adapter is which mode? Bridge or NAT?

If you use same subnet IP address then you have to use brodge mode.

Also turn off your host firewall then you may get ping reply.

abirhasan   
0 Kudos
Boloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you cannot connect a USB as datastore.

But if you have it connected to your vcenter computer, you can browse the datastores and upload / download to it.

Infrastructure Technical Leader at Tui Destination Services
vegemite
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I figured out how to copy data from the USB drive via the datastore browsing.

0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just out of curiousity did you get the data from  the usb whilst connected to vcenter or vice versa?

0 Kudos