VMware Cloud Community
janrikard
Contributor
Contributor

USB disk

Hello

I wonder how to use a usb-disk in esxi4, i want tto connect it to the esxi-servers usb-interface, but exactly how do i access the drive/partitions in the virtual machines?

/rikard

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. At this point ESX(i) does not support passthrough of USB devices to VMs. You can do this with a USB over IP device, or possible passthrough the hosts physical USB controller with VMDirectPath should your host support Directed I/O (VT-d).

janrikard
Contributor
Contributor

where can i find relevant information about the VMDirectPath solution?

Its not important for me to access the disk as a usb-device in the virtual-computer, I could mount it as a regular disk if thats an easier solution?

/rikard

0 Kudos
ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your USB disk must appear in your VM after installing to USB, or you can access it throught SPTI

Starwind Software Developer

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

VMDirectPath requires very specific host hardware support (VTd). If your server has it available and it is enabled it will show up in the the VI client under configuration / advanced settings. If you don't have hardware support you can use network enabled USB devices or add a NAS device to your network.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a reason that you want to use a USB disk that you cannot use another solution such as a network share? Knowing this might help us find another solution for you.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
janrikard
Contributor
Contributor

I want a simpel backup-solution, the disc is not intended to have production-data, just storage.

And if the system crashes I would like an easy way to get the data(backups) to another computer.

I would like to have it locally to get good performance and not needing to have 2 computers on every location.

I have a hp proliant ml350 g5, i cant fins thar it suppoert vmdirectpath, but someone maybe know if it does.

if its very complex to get it to work locally, i could solve it with a second computer, its not optimal.

If i sould connect via network, whats the simlest way?

Is it NFS that thw way to go? or should i use USB over ip(does that work in linux?)

/Rikard

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

NFS is the simplest way.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah, NFS is probably the simplest way here. ESX is really not designed for low end storage like what you are looking for. This doccument talks about what is required for VMDirectPath (ESX Host Requirements section), I don't think the G5 will support it but im not 100%.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
janrikard
Contributor
Contributor

I think i will try the nfs-solution.

Anyone who can hint in the right direction to find information about nfs in esxi?

/rikard

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For an NFS datastore look in the ESX Configuration guide, Page 96. For NFS inside a vm, it is dependent on the operating system.

---

www.beyondvm.com

0 Kudos