VMware Cloud Community
edwardsd
Contributor
Contributor

USB Passthrough | Dell PowerEdge 1950

Hi, I've read a number of posts on the error "Host does not support passthrough configuration" when trying to configure USB Passthrough but had a couple of further questions...

1. Is USB pass-though for the host supported on the Dell PowerEdge 1950? (I've read mixed reviews about enabling
  2. If I wanted to install a supported USB controller (PCI card) for this function to work can someone point me in the right direction (link) to the hardware needed?
  3. Is the only option to configure USB directly on the VM (Edit Settings -> Add... -> USB Controller)? I presume there are limitations to this (mainly when using vmotion?) I need the USB to be connected all the time (APC/UPS link) therefore want to avoid it from being disconnected if the vSphere client is switched off.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I recommend you to buy device for redirecting USB over Ethernet,

e.g. this: http://www.silexamerica.com/products/device_servers/usb_device_connectivity/sx-3000gb.html

0 Kudos
billu
Contributor
Contributor

+1 for Silex.

Even if you did manage to get USB Passthrough working, the throughput is so terrible ( think less than USB 1.1 speed ) you will end up ditching it....

0 Kudos
edwardsd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess this is the only valid option.

I have decided not push forward with my virtualisation plans and will wait until I can get new hardware that will support USB passthrough.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi edwardsd,

with USB passthrought you will dependent on "iron" where will connected your USB device.

So the question: what vMotion?

0 Kudos