VMware Cloud Community
immortalk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB Modem being detected as CD-ROM in ESXI host

Hi,

I have plugged a huawei e1750 usb modem to my esxi host. The problem lies in the fact it is being detected as a CD-ROM device (see below).

I want to detect it on the esxi host so I can use on one of the hosted windows machines as a USB modem, is that possible?

VMware-esxi-host.jpg

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
immortalk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK. I have found a solution that I would like to share with the community.

The problem lies in the fact that the USB is being mounted as a CD-ROM drive to help the users install the drivers. This prevents the device from being passed to the hosted Windows machine as a USB device.

To get around the problem I had to send an AT command to the USB instructing it to working only as a USB modem instead of a CD-ROM.

• We are using ESXi host V 5.5. However, this should probably work on old versions as well.
  • The modem used is Huawei e1750 (Different USB modems might have different AT commands).

Please follow the following steps:

1. Install modem drivers/software on your PC (Not on the virtual machine).
  2. Copy the drivers setup files from the mounted USB CD-ROM modem drive and save it in a different location (The copied files will be used on the ESXi hosted Windows virtual machine).
  3. Download Putty.
  4. Open device manager and click and expand "Ports (COM & LTP)" and take note of “Huawi Mobile Connect – 3g PC UI Interface” port number.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BESU5RW2bo8/Tz4LvdBFibI/AAAAAAAAAAc/UwyogsW-OeM/s1600/devicemanager.jpg

5- Now Run the Putty.exe that you previously downloaded. Select "Series" Enter the "COM(Number that u get previously)" and hit "Open"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O5WO8EZVeIc/Tz4OaInGPJI/AAAAAAAAAAk/j_VZIONNACA/s1600/puttyconfig.jpg

6- Type AT, if you get response OK, that means your modem is communicating.

7- Type AT^U2DIAG? and note the number you get as response in case you ever want to change the settings of modem back ----> This might be only specific to Huawei e1750 modem. You need to find the right AT command for the modem you are using.

8-  Type AT^U2DIAG=0 and press enter. If you get response OK, you just set up your modem to be acting only as a modem, not a card reader/CD drive ---> This might be  only specific to Huawei e1750 modem. You need to find the right AT command for the modem you are using.

9- Now, if you connect the USB modem to the ESXi machine, you should be able to add the USB modem as a USB device to the Windows machine.

References:

Step for Disable Huawei E173 USB Modem CD rom: February 2012

[Window N90] How to make your 3G USB modem work with your tablet - xda-developers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
immortalk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK. I have found a solution that I would like to share with the community.

The problem lies in the fact that the USB is being mounted as a CD-ROM drive to help the users install the drivers. This prevents the device from being passed to the hosted Windows machine as a USB device.

To get around the problem I had to send an AT command to the USB instructing it to working only as a USB modem instead of a CD-ROM.

• We are using ESXi host V 5.5. However, this should probably work on old versions as well.
  • The modem used is Huawei e1750 (Different USB modems might have different AT commands).

Please follow the following steps:

1. Install modem drivers/software on your PC (Not on the virtual machine).
  2. Copy the drivers setup files from the mounted USB CD-ROM modem drive and save it in a different location (The copied files will be used on the ESXi hosted Windows virtual machine).
  3. Download Putty.
  4. Open device manager and click and expand "Ports (COM & LTP)" and take note of “Huawi Mobile Connect – 3g PC UI Interface” port number.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BESU5RW2bo8/Tz4LvdBFibI/AAAAAAAAAAc/UwyogsW-OeM/s1600/devicemanager.jpg

5- Now Run the Putty.exe that you previously downloaded. Select "Series" Enter the "COM(Number that u get previously)" and hit "Open"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O5WO8EZVeIc/Tz4OaInGPJI/AAAAAAAAAAk/j_VZIONNACA/s1600/puttyconfig.jpg

6- Type AT, if you get response OK, that means your modem is communicating.

7- Type AT^U2DIAG? and note the number you get as response in case you ever want to change the settings of modem back ----> This might be only specific to Huawei e1750 modem. You need to find the right AT command for the modem you are using.

8-  Type AT^U2DIAG=0 and press enter. If you get response OK, you just set up your modem to be acting only as a modem, not a card reader/CD drive ---> This might be  only specific to Huawei e1750 modem. You need to find the right AT command for the modem you are using.

9- Now, if you connect the USB modem to the ESXi machine, you should be able to add the USB modem as a USB device to the Windows machine.

References:

Step for Disable Huawei E173 USB Modem CD rom: February 2012

[Window N90] How to make your 3G USB modem work with your tablet - xda-developers

0 Kudos