VMware Cloud Community
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

USB Hard Drive Is Slow

Afternoon all,

Im having problems with a customers vm where we have connected a USB hard drive but it only transfers data at approx 3.5 Mb/s.  That is many times slower than if the hard drive were connected to a physical server.

Is there a tweek somewhere or is this expected with a virtual usb connection?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Martin Jubb wrote:

Afternoon all,

Im having problems with a customers vm where we have connected a USB hard drive but it only transfers data at approx 3.5 Mb/s.  That is many times slower than if the hard drive were connected to a physical server.

Is there a tweek somewhere or is this expected with a virtual usb connection?

Thanks

Since it's USB, there are many layers of connectivity, USB port, the interface on the USB enclosure, the drive itself.

Some enclosures are either SATA or IDE.  Each one of these layers will cause external drives to be slower.  3.5 MB/s does seem rather slow, but I don't know the specs for the drive.

I would say its a 5400 RPM IDE enclosure..

Also USB is not a native way to transfer files.  you can't use the network?  That should be much faster.  Plug the USB into a laptop on the network and use a network connection to transfer the files.. you may have to copy the files from the USB drive first, then upload the files to the ESX host.  If you simply copy it direct from USB over the network it won't be any faster than you have now.

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of the office from 21st to 29th September with no access to email or phone.

If you have a support request, please email support@galtec.com

Regards

Martin Jubb

0 Kudos