VMware Cloud Community
Magilla
Contributor
Contributor

USB Devices not showing up

So I'm trying out USB support in ESXi 5.0 and the device doesn't show up in the vSphere Client application, does that mean its not compatible? The Device I'm trying to connect is one of those handleld devices use by the Fedex man where they scan your package and then you sign. Is there anything special I should check to make sure is set correctly? I did go into the VM and add the USB controller, but the fact that I don't see the device in vSphere is disheartening.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dhabbetichandra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check whether your device USB 2.0/3.0 ? is your host able to recognize that device ? if your host able recognize it then only guest can see that device.

0 Kudos
BAnderson875
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue yesterday, I figured out that it was the VM hardware version. It was an imported machine from a physical, but for some reason it insatlled and used VM hardware version 4, I ran my update manager and upgraded his hardware to VM version 8 and now I am able to add usb devices. This was a head scratcher to me because I could add USB devices on other machines running the same os's on that same Host VM server so I knew it was just a config problem on that one guest. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
PhillyKev
Contributor
Contributor

I was having issues with this where the option to add a USB device to the guest was grayed out with a message that no usb devices were present on the host.  I rebooted the host with the usb device (seagate hard drive) attached and it works now.

0 Kudos