VMware Cloud Community
steveharder
Contributor
Contributor

UPS Shutdown Command

Hi all,

I have a Gamatronic UPS system.

It simply connect to the server via agent (on windows) or via SSH to Linux\Unix machines.

I'm testing an AC fail and I do see on the ESX host that the commant shutdown was initiated but the server never goes down (the command that the UPS program sending the ESX host is shutdown -h 300)

If run the shutdown -c it does seems to have a pid to cancle.

If I run the same AC fail test with the command shutdown -h now - the ESX host does go down.

Can someone guide me for the right way to shutdown ESX hosts in a HA cluster and shutdown the guests before it goes down?

I do see lots of articals on APC UPS but I don't have that one.

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

See 'man shutdown' on ESX host for more info.

shutdown -h +5 would shut it down after 5 minutes. So the ups just uses a wrong syntax.

For shutting down the guests, you need to install vmware tools on all of them, but I don't know how to shut them down with your ups, only got apc, sorry Smiley Wink

steveharder
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the help.

I enabled the startup/shutdown option in the vcenter so it should shutdown the vm's before shuting down the hosts.

how can I know that when the UPS utility send the shutdown command via SSH to all my three hosts, it will not start to use the HA for migrating the vm's to each other?

thanks

0 Kudos