VMware Cloud Community
aztechy
Contributor
Contributor

Two seperate gateways on 1 Nic

Hello. I am having a problem. I will use example Ips to represent my situation I am having. I have the psyical esxi server's gateway as 208.110.111.90 and I ordered some extra Ips from the datacenter and their gateway is 208.110.101.88. All of the virtual machines work fine with the 208.110.110.90 gateway, but when I tried to add the new set of Ip's to a virtual machine all I can do I ping a site, but I don't get a response. And the DNS servers are fine. The virtual machine is a Windows 2003 server. Thank you guys!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Can you ping the new gateway form your VM? If you can not than there is an issues with your network - either the physocal NIC conected to your vSwitch is not connected to the right physical witch or the physical switch is not configurted properly -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aztechy
Contributor
Contributor

I can still ping the new gateway. But I cannot get out onto the internet.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You will probably need to get the data center to help. It may be a simple as changing the netmask and using the one gateway address but we don't know whether the addresses are served from the same router.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
aztechy
Contributor
Contributor

The Ips are on two different allocations within a vlan.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The IP's in your description are on 3 subnets? We don't have enough knowledge of your network, vlans etc. You can only have one default gateway but ?????

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
aztechy
Contributor
Contributor

They are all on the same subnet. So I can connect to them internally, but even when I do a traceroute in Windows to an extrernal address like google, the only hop it goes to is the gateway and stops and times out. The gateway on the Virtual machine is different than the psyical server. Thanks for your help so far.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Hello. I am having a problem. I will use example Ips to represent my situation I am having. I have the psyical esxi server's gateway as 208.110.111.90 and I ordered some extra Ips from the datacenter and their gateway is 208.110.101.88. All of the virtual machines work fine with the 208.110.110.90 gateway, but when I tried to add the new set of Ip's to a virtual machine all I can do I ping a site, but I don't get a response. And the DNS servers are fine. The virtual machine is a Windows 2003 server. Thank you guys!

what is your subnet mask? are they on the same phyiscal subnet, if so why do you need 2 gateways. as the other poster stated you can only have one default gateway. the problem is that we do not have enought knowledge of your network layout physical and virtual to give proper sugestions.

for example how many vSwitches or portgroups do you have. how many VLANs etc

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos