VMware Cloud Community
HOCompute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two IP addresses on one NIC

Hi

I recently added a new ASUS router to my network and everything seemed to be working fine until I noticed that my Domain Controller which is a VM was no longer reachable on my 192.168.0. network. I am unable to ping the server but all other devices and VMs on the same subnet are fine.

My Domain controller always had an IP address of 192.168.0.68 however manually setting the IP address now and then doing an ipconfig shows that the IP is 169.254.169.76, no mater how many times I try to force it manually it will never take the IP address 192.168.0.68. There is only one virtual E100e NIC on this server. If I make the IP address anything else other than 192.168.0.68 manually it works fine, and ipconfig show the correct manually set address, it just does not like or want to take 192.168.0.68 !!!

When looking in the VSphere console at the server I see under the "General Information" /Network section I see that the server has 2 IP addresses assigned both 169.254.169.76 & 192.168.0.68 with the former being on top, none of my other VMs are like this !!!   PLEASE HELP

vmware.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HOCompute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all

I have fixed it, the DHCP server on my router had assigned the 192.168.0.68 address to another device which was actually offline so not pingable. Once I cleared the lease and reserved the address it is all working !!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's the output of ipconfig /all, i.e. do you see both IP addresses there?

André

0 Kudos
HOCompute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it shows both

192.254.169.73 (preferred)

192.168.0.68 (Duplicate)

There is only one NIC as I said so not sure where there is a duplicate?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ping the IP from another system on the same subnet then check the arp cache on that system to see what MAC address is responding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try to remove hidden (network) devices within the windows device manager. You need a environment variable to see the devices in the GUI.

See VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Would you mind to share the command's output?

Also please confirm that the second IP address isn't configured in the network adapter's advanced settings.

André

0 Kudos
HOCompute
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all

I have fixed it, the DHCP server on my router had assigned the 192.168.0.68 address to another device which was actually offline so not pingable. Once I cleared the lease and reserved the address it is all working !!