VMware Cloud Community
Hardwaregore
Contributor
Contributor

Turn VM into bootable USB

Hi,

I bought a Kemp LoadMaster off eBay. The seller destroyed the LoadMaster's original hard drive that had its OS. So, I imported a VM into my ESXi server that had all of the data on it.  I then exported the VM into a VMDK file. I then turned that VMDK into a raw IMG file. I installed Ventoy on a USB and put my IMG on there. After booting the IMG file in the physical LoadMaster, it started spitting out errors about missing directories, then went to the login screen for 10 seconds, then displayed the following text:

```

Could not find kernel

runlevel 1 has been reached

Sending all processes the KILL signal

Shutdown: System Halted

```

Then the LoadMaster shuts down and the IMG file corrupts. The Virtual Disk that I used to create the IMG booted fine in VMware ESXi so I have no idea what went wrong. Is there anything I could do differently in ESXi to prevent this? Or, Is there a way for me to use the ssh console to directly convert the vmdk to an ISO or something? I am very beginner to ESXi because I just started with my homelab a few days ago.

Does anyone know how to fix? Any help would be great, Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>> I then exported the VM into a VMDK file.

Why did you do that - the flat.vmdk is already a perfect boot image .... ????
What is a LoadMaster - do you have a link ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not entirely sure a VM downloaded from Kemp would have all of the proper drivers and such that the image for a hardware load balancer would have. You might want to try and make an image with clonezilla and restore that to a drive and see if it would boot properly. 

--Alan--

0 Kudos