VMware Cloud Community
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 I get this error "vmware cannot create a ramdisk of size to store the upgrade image"

My environment is I'm running vmware off of an SD card. It says I need 370 MB free but I don't have enough space. I'm using Update manager from VSphere and this is where the error occurs. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have the scratch location configured for the host?

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1033696

André

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I created a new .locker on my Datastore1 but it still tells me I do not have enough space. There is about a TB free. It uses that long cryptic name in the path  (I would copy the path name but this page will not allow me to paste text-but I could do pictures). Any other tricks? Is there a way to set the size of the .locker folder?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

After creating the scratch folder, you can enter it with it's "human readable" name, e.g. "/vmfs/volumes/Datastore1/.locker-ESXHostname" in the advanced configuration. The folder name will automatically be replaced with the datastore's UUID. Since a scratch partition - which is created when you install ESXi on a HDD - has a size of 4GB, the scratch folder should not require more space.

Did you reboot the host after making the changes?

André

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

When I put the human name in, close the window and reopen it reverts to that long alphnumeric path name. Yes, I did reboot it. I was wondering if it is an issue that my datastore names have spaces in them? It takes it with the space in it and I know that because when I get it wrong it lets me know.

I just noticed on another post and I can do other updates but someone else in our organization built a new VCenter probably with a new root password. Would that in any way affect my upgrading to 5.1?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... it reverts to that long alphanumeric path name ...

That's ok. The human readable name is just a symbolic link to the "real" datastore name (which is the UUID you see).

Do you see new files created in this scratch folder after you rebooted the host?

... someone else in our organization built a new VCenter probably with a new  root password. Would that in any way affect my upgrading to 5.1?

This should not affect you as long as the host is still a member of your vCenter Server environment.

André

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I see the 4 folders in my new folder with the new name. I'm not logged into work at the moment but one of the folders is var so I am assuming they are correct.

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out "lockdown mode" was enabled. As soon as I disabled it and rebooted it took it.

0 Kudos