VMware Cloud Community
bmcdevitt
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to mount additional Datastore various ways, none work.

Now that Hyper V 2012 is out, I plan on converting my hosted server's OS to windows server 2012 from esxi 4.1. Main reason being I can have live replication to an in-house server for backup.  When trying to get the servers locally (in house network for when the remote host's OS is being changed) First thing I tried to do is use the Windows Virtual Machine Converter.  I had no success with this as I ran into a networking issue and I felt it would be faster to use a different method than continue troublehsooting.  With my current router setup, I have a VPN tunnel, with all ports open but the trafffic does not use NAT.  I have a few questions I would love if someone could point me in the right dirrection, or even better answer.  (I Will mark helpful posts as helpful, I Promise!)  The reason I have to even post this is because we are working with limited storage where the server is being hosted.  1TB to be exact, and I am trying to get some local hard drive space available to the remote esxi server.

So a few things....

#1  The ESXI 4.1 Firewall:  At various times I have been doing things, I always seem to run into port issues.  Does the server need to be rebooted for the Daemon to start after the port is "opened".  Even after I open ports such as "NFS" the outgoing connection is added but not the incoming connection.  When I see the daemon status from the GUI it just said N/A.  Wich brings me to my next question

#2 Can I setup FreeNAS to mount as a database on my remote servers over my VPN tunnel.  I tried FreeNAS with ISCSI first but it could not be found.  I decided to try and create a Unix NFS and mount that.  When I do that I get the error "Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESX "Public Ip Here" failed."

#3 Is there a better method for what I am trying to accomplish?

Thank you for reading. Thank you in advance for any support I get!

-Ben

0 Kudos
0 Replies