VMware Cloud Community
fribse2010
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to install vmware esxi lab machine on USB3

I have a very neat little lab vmware running here, it's currently booting of a USB2 key, but I would like for it to use a newer USB3 key.

The BIOS can see the USB3 drive, both as a UEFI unit and as a Legacy, and I've tried booting in both modes.

But the CD doesn't see the key if I put it in the USB3 slot in the server, if I place it in the USB2 slot it sees it, and it can install on it.

The MB is an MSI A78M-e45, AMD based chipset 78.

I've made the vmware see the onboard NIC by adding the drivers to the ISO, but I can't find any help on adding some USB3 drivers of some sort.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

To answer your questions you need to look at the following links:

VMware KB: USB support in ESXi/ESX 4.1 and ESXi 5.x

TinkerTry IT @ home | How to configure ESXi 5.0 for USB 3.0 passthrough to a Windows VM

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
fribse2010
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so what I read from this is USB 3 can only be used for vm's, not for the host itself, sigh.

It would be nice to have the USB key connected to the internal USB port (which is 3.0) instad of the external ports.

0 Kudos
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In the KB suggests you everything that supports and does not support.

"

Host-Connected USB Passthrough:

Limitations:

• USB controller hardware and modules that support USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 devices must be present on the physical host.
  • It is not possible to utilize a USB 3.0 device connected to the physical host; the device will be ignored. (Use client-connected USB passthrough instead.)

"

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos