VMware Cloud Community
toxicrainpx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to install the product in XSeries 336

Hello, we have ESX Server 3.5 Installed with a IBM Blade, and now that we have some free servers I want to use that servers to install ESXI 4. I'm trying to install the ESXI in a XSeries 336 Server with a SCSI LSI Controller. IT boots OK, but when it appear a messagem like "Press ESC to Cancel, Press Enter to Install it gets stuck there. The keyboard stops working. Someone knows why?? Waiting for some reply Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may be able to install 4

1. ESXi installation might fail on IBM x336 machines

On some IBM x336 machines, the ESXi installation process might stop. This is caused by a bug in the machine's BIOS.

Workaround: Update the machine's BIOS to version 1.15 prior to installing ESXi Installable.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you checked the Hardware Compatibility List

There are new requirements for version 4 and support for some servers have been dropped.

0 Kudos
toxicrainpx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear DSTAVERT,

I saw that after my post. Then I read that the 3.5 Version it fit's for 32Bit's CPU but I have the same problem. It gets stuck on the first option screen. Any Ideia?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you trying to install 3.5 or version 4? Version 4 is not supported on the x336.

0 Kudos
toxicrainpx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First I tryed to install the 4.0 Then I read something about the compatibility with 32Bits Processors. The 3.5 version it's for 32Bits processores, so, I tryed the 3.5. The same thing. It freezes after appear the first options screen.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may be able to install 4

1. ESXi installation might fail on IBM x336 machines

On some IBM x336 machines, the ESXi installation process might stop. This is caused by a bug in the machine's BIOS.

Workaround: Update the machine's BIOS to version 1.15 prior to installing ESXi Installable.

0 Kudos