VMware Cloud Community
dstpaul
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to add array to ESXi VM, 'select' grayed out

I'm totally new to VM.  Have a new HP server with two raid arrays and 20 cores.

Have created two VM's, both using disk storage from Array1.  Need to add Array2 space to SQL server vm, however when I edit and try to add existing array the 'select' button is grayed out.

Also, next week we'll be getting server# two, an identical HP server for Exchange - how do I add the new server to the first ESXi

I like what I've seen so far

Dunbar

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For your “Array 2” space, datastores are the target areas for virtual disks and the other files needed to run your VMs, so unless you have a datastore created on “Array 2” you won’t be able to add any virtual disks.

It is usually the case that a single disk/array will contain 1 large datastore occupying the maximum space available, however it is not usually the case that you only use a single disk/array for a single virtual disk.

Sounds like you want to manage the 2 hosts centrally, to do that you will need to deploy vCenter Server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dstpaul
Contributor
Contributor

so what do I need to buy to make two servers into 4 VM's

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

how do I add the new server to the first ESXi

What do you mean there? You cannot add ESXi host to each other. If you need a central management interface for managing both of them, you need to deploy the vCenter server as the top layer of managing vSphere environment. If the servers are identical it's better to create a cluster object also and add your ESXi to it for increasing the rate of availability of your virtual machines/services.

To use the physical disk devices, first of all you should configure an array of disks (For example configure a RAID type) and then create a datastore from them inside the ESXi by GUI or CLI. Next you can see 2nd datastore to put your new VM into this repository. (I tried to explain simply Smiley Wink)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest you look to learn more about vSphere features and elements before going any further, to ensure you understand how to setup your environment in a way which works and is supportable.

Try vSphere for free with our Hands-on Labs – vSphere | VMware

VMware vSphere Documentation

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.7]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
dstpaul
Contributor
Contributor

Amin - I have two Raid5 array's setup. I want the first array to be for O/S and the second to be for the SQL databases.  I have two datastores setup, just can't get the SSD array assigned to the sql server.

Scott - I think you're probably right - I either need to take a class or hire someone to setup these two servers.  I spoke to someone in sales yesterday, unfortunately they didn't have the knowledge to offer the right solutions.  What classes would you recommend?

Thanks to both of you for your help.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Install Configure Manage is the foundational class for those who setup and administer vSphere environments.

You don't say what version you're using, here's the 2 most recent versions:

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.7]

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V7]

The 6.7 version is also available as an "on demand" version, I expect the 7.0 version will also be very soon:

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.7] - On Demand

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Datastore is a vSphere element that only can be assigned to the ESXi host level. you cannot allocate it for the virtual machine (VM) itself, while the VM files resides on the datastore. So if you have a SSD array of disks and want to use it to increase the performance metrics of SQL server virtual machine, there is a good recommendation to change and put the VM's swap file inside a directory that exists on the SSD datastore. (To change the VM swap file default location, see  KB1004082)

In some situations, you may faced that ESXi hosts didn't detect your disk storage as a SSD datastore! Then if you are ensure about your disk's type (is SSD), you can mark it manually (KB2013188). This operation needs host reboot.

However if you are not well-done educated about the VMware vSphere, please don't change them, until you understand them well.

At last I suggest to read about the Raw Device Mapping (RDM) too, if you want to became more aware about the types of disk assigning to the virtual machine.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos