VMware Cloud Community
Kiranshankarmk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to Install ESX 4.0 on Dell Optiplex 380 machine - NIC driver issue

Trying to Install ESX at home on a Dell Optiplex 380, with Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM. Installation discontinues saying the NIC detection failed. not getting NIC drivers for ESX. NIC details as follows : Network: Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller,5721C1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E,BCM95722 PCI-E NIC Driver - - - Version    : A05 - - - OEM name   : Broadcom.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aluciani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue, I was trying to install ESX on a Dell Inspiron, but the onboard NIC was not picked up.

I looked around and bought the following NIC after reading the reviews and things have worked just fine for me ever since.

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aluciani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar issue, I was trying to install ESX on a Dell Inspiron, but the onboard NIC was not picked up.

I looked around and bought the following NIC after reading the reviews and things have worked just fine for me ever since.

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the communities.

It is likely the included drivers would work for that card. I would visit http://vm-help.com and search through the HCL and forums. You may need to change the simple.map file and include the PCIID for your card. There are directions for finding an changing the necessary files.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Kiranshankarmk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for a quick answer and a workable solution. I appreciate all your help.

regards,

Kiran.

0 Kudos
Kiranshankarmk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi David,

I checked in HCL and found Dell Optiplex 380 is not validated. Thanks for all the help and showing me where should i check on for the Hardware compatibility. I appreciate all your help.

regards,

Kiran.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I should have been clearer. Check the vm-help website for the whitebox HCL http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php. You may be able to use the on board nic. Check the forums as well.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are Broadcom 57xx series NICs and it probably just requires identifying the PCIID of the onboard NIC.

0 Kudos