VMware Cloud Community
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trunk port on VM

Hello,

We are installing a VM that requires a trunk port and through the VM we will tag the vlans.  I have created a vnic on vlan 4095.  Below is the cisco config of the port.

I am tagging the vm with a vlan 50.  ICMP is enabled on the box, but I am unable to ping it.  The vlan is allowed in the switch.  On a different VM I have vlan 50 working as untagged.  I am using 6.5

What am I missing?

--------------------------------------------------------------

interface GigabitEthernet0/5

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 30

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

9 Replies
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How you are tagging a single VM to use vlan 50.

If it is for number of VMs then you can use virtual switch tagging. If you are wanting to configure a single VM to use VLAN50 then you should use Guest OS VLAN tagging.

In Guest OS vlan tagging, you need to configure the VLAN ID in the properties of NIC.

• Press Windows key + R
  • Type devmgmt.msc
  • Click OK.
  1. In Device Manager, open Network adapters.
  2. Right-click on the NIC and choose Properties.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. Scroll down to VLAN ID.
  5. Set the ID that you would like the NIC to have and click OK.

Hope, this will answer your query, do not forget to mark this helpful/resolved.

0 Kudos
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am tagging it with vlan 50 on the OS side.  This VM is an appliance and it requires it to be tagged on the OS side.  I am using a spare physical NIC for this trunk as well as separate vswitch and vnic.  I cant seem to get the right config to get it to work.

I have setup this appliance before and I know that I have the config correctly.  I also validated this with their support staff.

If I create another vm and tag the port on the vnic side it seems to work correctly, but for some reason configuring the vnic as a trunk is my issue.

thanks,

0 Kudos
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am doing a dump on the interface and I keep getting the following.  It sees the traffic on that vlan, but for some reason traffic is not reaching the VM.  If I do a dump on the VM nothing is coming in except an ocasional broadcast.

17:15:47.239591[62] Captured at EtherswitchDispath point, TSO not enabled, Checksum not offloaded and not verified, VLAN tag 50, length 64.

Segment[0] ---- 64 bytes:

0x0000:  0100 0ccc cccd 0016 4689 4185 0032 aaaa

0x0010:  0300 000c 010b 0000 0000 0080 3200 1646

0x0020:  8941 8000 0000 0080 3200 1646 8941 8080

0x0030:  0500 0014 0002 000f 0000 0000 0002 0032

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Check on Physical switch and see for VM mac address. See if the mac address is being learned with correct vlan.

0 Kudos
dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So is this running on a single ESXi host?  Is this VM in a portgroup, and tagged with the vlan id?

0 Kudos
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the switch it does see the VM's MAC on it's arp table.  This is a single physical NIC, Single Vswitch, Single vnic on a single VM.  I am tagging the vlan at the OS.

thanks,

0 Kudos
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only thing I can think of is that the qlogic drivers are not compatible or some other driver issue.  Is there something else I can try?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Have you read and confirmed the settings outlined in the following VMware KB article:

Sample configuration of virtual machine VLAN Tagging (VGT Mode) in ESX (1004252) | VMware KB

You do not mention what type of virtual switching technology you are using?  Standard or Distributed or 3rd party? Also what OS is the guest VM?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mrjoli021
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using 6.5 on an HP Gen7.

Standard Switch with a Guest os of Debian Squeeze

thanks,

0 Kudos