VMware Cloud Community
sstange
Contributor
Contributor

True Multi-Monitor Support?

We're currently using the latest version of vSphere for 50+ developer environments and they have enjoyed all the features that come with VMWare like back-ups, 24x7 access w/ no boot-ups, ability to take advantage of server level processors vs. mobile laptop processors, etc... With some products coming out like Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 7, developers are asking for true multi-monitor support for their remote desktop sessions. Developers don't want the "span" option, but would like multi-monitor support in the way they receive it when they run things locally. They would like to have a Visual Studio on one monitor and a MySQL window on another monitor.

Without purchasing VMWare View 4, is there another way to make this work?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not know of a way that you can do this without View -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if VMware View is not an option, you may want to look at something like splitview

J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

RDP 7 (Windows 7 and Server 2008) provides this functionality, up to 16 screens IIRC.

Also it might be worth looking at one of the performance enhanced versions like Blaze.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
sstange
Contributor
Contributor

I tried SplitView out and it has it's quarks, but that's just about what I wanted. Limitations include a max resolution of 4096w x 2048h and both monitors needing to be the same resolution, but I'm ok with this. I'm still curious about some of the other solutions to this problem.

Sam

0 Kudos
sstange
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have windows 7 installed locally, so I can't verify these findings.

0 Kudos