VMware Cloud Community
infologic
Contributor
Contributor

Troubleshoot offline storage

I am new to VMWare and I have inherited a HP ProLiant Server running VMWare ESXi 5.1.0.799733. The physical server has two network cards installed on different subnets. The first is the main PC network and the second is a cross-over cable link to a SAN. The SAN is only accessible via the HP server.

Running the VMWare vSphere Client via my Windows PC I can connect to the host but my three virtual machines show as Unknown (inaccessible), Unknown1 (inaccessible), and Unknown2 (inaccessible). If I look at the summary tab it shows that my Storage is inactive but the SAN appears to be online and functional.

Is there a way of confirming the location of the virtual machines and also is there a way to confirm or troubleshoot the connection between the VMWare host and the SAN?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how you connect your SAN storage with VM Network and are you able to ping your SAN storage IP with your VM network.

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you write down your environment with SAN details (NAS, FC SAN, Model, type,...) ? Is your SAN (aka Storage Array + Switches) healthy (try to connect to its the management inteface)?

This error apperars when your datastore is not mounted correctly... For this reason VM's are inacessible...

0 Kudos