VMware Cloud Community
kp238
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble with IBM x3650 M2 and ESX 4.0.0 Build 164009

I have 8 new IBM x3650 M2 (P/N: 794792G) servers installed with ESX 4.0.0 Build 164009. The servers come from IBM with UEFI Firmware 1.01 (with fixed problem "Interrupt routing was not valid for VMWARE 4.0" - ).

The Service Console show this error:

0:00:00:02.582 cpu0:4096)CosCommon: 2103: Couldn't setup IRQ 11 with vector 193

0:00:00:02.582 cpu0:4096)CosCommon: 2103: Couldn't setup IRQ 11 with vector 193

Who has an idea for solution?

IBM say the problem is ESX 4.0 software and not the IBM hardware.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion

Rod,

I figured out how to do it from the Service Console. You had to run the update command twice in a row. It did however create a new vSwitch that VMware HA didn't like so much...

I also wrote a bit on this issue here: http://vmfaq.com/entry/70/

Lars

0 Kudos
MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

I also am having this exact issue at a Customer site.

Strangely I am seeing it on 3 out of four nodes on a cluster but not on the fourth. It also only seems to have appeared since configuring the SAN. I initially thought that the issue was related to that but have since removed all Zoned LUNS from one of the hosts with no joy and the 4th host is mapped in an identical way with no problems.

I discovered the"Legacy Only" setting and this resolves the issue but I would love some explanation as to what that means and why the setting is necessary. Is anyone else out there experiencing this issue? Have you had any joy finding a solution Matt?

I've just updated the UEFI BIOS to version 1.03 but the issue remains.

Marty

0 Kudos
MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just in response to my own post really,

I have resolved my issue to a certain extent with the only outstanding concern being that I had one host which did not experience the problem and as yet do not know why. I actually found an inconsistency between the configuration of the two SAN switches in this environment. One had Aliases created for each host using the the WWN numbers where the other had the correct configuration using the WWPN numbers. I corrected the firsts switch configuration and the problem has gone away. I've now removed "Legacy Only" from the boot order and the servers are booting correctly.

Again, I am confused as to why this was not affecting all hosts but at least the problem is resolved.

Martin

0 Kudos
BonezOz
Contributor
Contributor

Marty, same issue here as well. Brand new x3650 M2 out of the box with uEFI v1.03 pre-installed.

OK, so this is a known issue prior to the firmware update, does anyone have suggestions?

0 Kudos
MartinHolt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi BonezOz,

only suggestion is that you check your SAN zone config, still seems like a bug to me but was interesting that it flagfalled a problem with my SAN configuration.

Once that was resolved Legacy Only was not required.

Good Luck with it.

0 Kudos
BonezOz
Contributor
Contributor

Martin,

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not I resolved the issue about an hour after posting, just haven't gotten around to updating here in the forum. Ended up re-running the Firmware update from the IMM with ESX 4.0 in Maintenance Mode, rebooted the server and all is now OK.

0 Kudos
Sandhya94
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue with 2 HS22 blades & esx 4.0. I upgraded the firmware to the newest version 1.05 with no luck.

Thanks.

Sandhya

0 Kudos
Matthew_Stewart
Contributor
Contributor

What buid are you using? For the IBM plateform  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/esxi/ .

Always disable unused hardware.

0 Kudos