VMware Cloud Community
Antrell
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble shoot install STAF fallure

I need to do certification in Vsphere 5.5.  Using Installation Helper View attempt to install STAF on the target system and get failure.  How do I trouble shoot this failure to find the root cause?  The firewalls are disabled and each machine can ping the other.

STAF ping failed - Please check network connection and make sure firewalls are disabled.

11 Replies
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check the output of the command

esxcli network firewall get.

-SatyS

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos
Antrell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but I already tried that, and the firewalls are disabled.  I am looking an advanced and precise way to determine the reason for the failure.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well.. are the machines able to ping each other via hostname. From little knowledge of STAF, the STAFProcess gets registered with the hostname as the socket most of the times and if the hostname is not resolved, then the staf ping might not work.

Does giving on a host, staf local ping ping work out? and staf <samehostname> ping ping work?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On a side note, I do believe this has nothing to do with VMware Products :smileymischief:

0 Kudos
Antrell
Contributor
Contributor

simple ping command works from both systems. 

From workbench system

# staf local ping ping

Response

--------

PONG

# staf ilfuTarget ping ping

Error submitting request, RC:  16

Additional info

---------------

STAFConnectionsProviderConnect: Error performing test read on connected endpoint: recv() RC=111 22, Endpoint: tcp:/ilfuTarget

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Return code of 16 means "No Path To Endpoint". This can be due to

-STAF is not running on the target system.

-An invalid or unreachable endpoint (e.g. an invalid hostname or IP address) was specified.

-The network interface or port specified in the endpoint is not supported on the target system. The network interfaces are configured in the STAF.cfg file and can be listed by submitting a LIST INTERFACES request to the MISC service.

-A firewall is blocking communication via the STAF TCP/IP port configured for the network interface in your STAF.cfg. Note that the default STAF TCP/IP port is 6500.

-The DNS on one of the machines is not set up correctly.

Hope this helps

-SatyS

Regards,
SatyS

0 Kudos
davidturchak
Contributor
Contributor

SatyS, I have the same issue with STAF 3.4.1 . What is the way to verify staf is running on ESXi 5.5 ? How to start it manually?

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

STAF externalizes its capabilities through services. STAFProc is the process that runs on a machine, called a STAF Client, which accepts requests and routes them to the appropriate service.

To check if staf is running, just do a ps on your ESXi box.If you see STAFProc in the list,then STAF will be running.

STAFProc will be available under /bin directory.

Regards,
SatyS

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please run  ps -c | grep STAF to check whether STAF process is running. To start STAF, run /bin/STAFProc&

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
biheng
Contributor
Contributor

I also encounter this issue, pls connect ESXi host via hostname but IP, install STAF successfully.

0 Kudos
biheng
Contributor
Contributor

I also encounter this issue, pls connect ESXi host via hostname but IP, install STAF successfully. pls try it.

0 Kudos