VMware Cloud Community
mp125
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble migrating Server2 VM to ESXi 4

Hello,

I am running a Windows 2003 VM on Server 2, and I am having problems getting it to work on ESXi 4. I am using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone to migrate from Server 2 to ESXi 4, but VM will not boot on ESXi. In console, it sits with a single underline dash on black screen. Not sure what the problem is.

So, for whatever reason, I tried uninstalling VM Tools on VM while in Server 2, then migrated to ESXi. This did work and VM booted in ESXi. It was almost normal, until I attempted to Install VM Tools, and I get an error saying it can't find windows.iso on ESXi...not sure how this is possible, since I was able to migrate another Server2 VM to ESXi 4 and had no problems.

I realize these are probably 2 separate problems/questions, but I'm pretty frustrated right now. Up until this point, VMware things were pretty smooth and easy.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You could have experienced a problem install I suppose. Tools are stored for individual OS's as iso files. When you select Install the ISO is mounted and the install begins.

You could have a look at /store/packages/4.0.0/vmtools/

To get to the unsupported console

ALT F1

Type "unsupported" (nothing will show)

enter your password at the prompt.

Anything happen during your install that was unusual.

A reboot of the host perhaps??

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mp125
Contributor
Contributor

I used WinSCP to look at the file directory on my ESXi 4 server, and the files and folders that VMware Tools apparently uses were missing, just like I've seen others complain about on the web. It seems strange...why would the vmtools folder, the windows.iso file, and others all of sudden get deleted.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

How did you know they were deleted? Had you used the tools previously? Is the whole directory structure missing? /vmfs/volumes/Hypervisor3 or /store

Have you tried a restart?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos