VMware Cloud Community
m200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trouble growing a local datastore

I'm trying to grow the local datastore on a single esxi host environment, after adding an extra drive to the raid-array. The raid is connected to a SmartArray P400 controller, and my ESXi has the hp tools installed. Using "hpacucli" from an ssh-session I have managed to add the unused drive to the array, and resize the logical drive to utilize the newly added unused space of the array. All transformation and reindexing-processes have been completed 100%. The hpacucli correctly shows that the raid is now 280GB as opposed to 200GB beforehand.

Inside ESXi the store obviously still shows up as 200GB.

Using a guide from a vmware article on how to grow a local datastore in ESXi 5.0 im using the partedutil til resize the last partition (the vmfs partition) to utilize the new unused space of the logical drive from the array. Problem is that partedutil stil reports the last usable sector to be the exact same as the partiton already has.... Using partedutil with the getusablesector-command I get the exact same number as already is reported as the ending sector for the partition in the partitiontable..... so it seems ESXi cant't see the new size of the logical drive.

All changes so far (on the underlying storage) has been done online, with ESXi and VM's running.

Do the ESXi have to be booted in order to reread the logical drive and see the new size? (refrshing storage adapters have been tried with no success)

Do the ESXi have to be in "maint mode" in order to resize the partition table and grow the vmfs datastore? (no IO to running VM's) - or can everything be done online?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

After resizing the partition you will need to grow the VMFS datastore using the "vmkfstools --growfs ...". Did you already do this?

Maybe Re: Can't increase Datastore capacity VMFS 5.54 helps.

André

0 Kudos
m200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

André Pett wrote:

After resizing the partition you will need to grow the VMFS datastore using the "vmkfstools --growfs ...". Did you already do this?

Maybe Re: Can't increase Datastore capacity VMFS 5.54 helps.

André

No, as stated in my post, the resize of the partition is whats stopping me because it is not possible, due to the fact that getusablesector command on partedutil gives me the exact number for last usable sector already reported as the ending sector in the partitiontable..... so according to partedutil the partition is already maxed out on the disk/logical drive - it sees no new unused sectors on the end of the disk....  (the hpacucli command on the other hand, correctly reports that the logical drive has been expanded from 200GB to 280GB..... - so im a bit baffled that partedutil can't see any new sectors)

So to answer in short, No, I can't grow the VMFS because I can't resize the partiton.... that's my problem! 🙂

0 Kudos