VMware Cloud Community
mtrenouth
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble Installing Intel i340 Driver in ESXi 4.1

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]>

I'm running a fresh install of ESXi 4.1 and the server has a dual port Intel

NIC which is recognised by the installer. I'm trying to add a quad port Intel

i340-T4 quad port NIC to the server and that's where things go horribly wrong.

The NIC is on the HCL for ESXi 4.x and after a bit of digging online I found

out what chipset it was using, I found the driver

"http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx40_intel_82580_dt/ZHcqYmQqKmpidGR3" I

burned the iso, put it in the server's drive, installed the vSphere CLI tools

and proceeded to try and mount the CD.

Roadblock #1 The CD will not mount attempting to mount results in ...

/dev/cdrom /mnt I get /mnt failed: Bad address. I exit maintenance

mode, fire up a VM and it can see the disc perfectly, so the hardware works.

Roadblock # 2 Other forums suggest using SCP to upload the .zip to the host

and use the terminal to install. After fighting with the firewall to

allow connections, I managed to get the file uploaded; I typed in "esxupdate --bundle INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-2.1.9.8-offline_bundle-246732.zip update" and get greeted by:

Id -

Message - No buletins for this platform could be found. Nothing to do

Errno - 13

Description - No matching bulletin or VIB was found in the metadata.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the driver installed, it would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I typed in "esxupdate --bundle INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-2.1.9.8-offline_bundle-246732.zip update"

Not sure if you made a typo in this post but you are missing the = after --bundle

esxupdate --bundle=INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-2.1.9.8-offline_bundle-246732.zip update

If that is not the problem, try running "esxupdate --bundle=INT-intel-lad-ddk-igb-2.1.9.8-offline_bundle-246732.zip check" or info

It should show you if it contains any Installable Bundles.

I had this problem before and it turned out to be the Bundle itself, The Bundle that worked on ESXi 4.0 did not work for ESXi 4.1 on the same machine

You might need to look for the lastest Driver specifying it is for ESXi 4.1

Regards

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

mtrenouth
Contributor
Contributor

Good catch, the lack of "=" was a transcription typo. I did run the info switch and in the description field it states "igb: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver for VMware ESX 4.0" so yup the driver was no good.

I searched a little further on VMWare's site to no avail, but a Google search showed the proper driver "http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx40_intel_82580_v4002198_dt/ZHcqYmRwakBiZHdlZQ==" Uploaded with WinSCP, ran esxupdate and it took.

VMWare really needs to improve its driver search and download on the web site, is a proper hyperlink to the file from the HCL really all that difficult? Top it off with all the mucking around to upload the driver file when they have a perfectly good host update utility is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Always happy to help :smileycool:

I agree with the driver search, normally you need to look for the driver on the Server manufactures site like IBM or HP, and sometimes you need to register and all that Jazz to get a driver. Would be nice if vmware can have these new drivers on their website as approved drivers.I Don't think it will change to be honest

But im glad you came right and fixes your driver issue

Happy Virtualizing

Don't be shy with the points Smiley Wink hehe

Regards

0 Kudos
ylevadoux
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent post !

I have the same exact issue, this post help me to solve the intel drivers issue.

Thank you guys Smiley Happy

0 Kudos