VMware Cloud Community
MLustfield
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble Allocating Memory

My company recently got some new servers to handle some incredibly heavy software from McAfee. Unfortunately, they decided that this software should only work an an "appliance" and needs to be installed either in a VMWare VM or on their hardware.

We decided to go the ESXi route since it's supposed to be supported. This is actually my first experience with ESXi.

The install seemed to go fine and then the rest of the VM setup seemed to go just fine. When I tried to start up, I got an error about insufficient disk space. It turns out VMWare wants to create a swap file equal to memory allocation to vm less host memory reservation. I went to Host > Configuration > System Resource Allocation > Settings and changed the Memory Reservation so it is larger than the VM allocation.

Now when I try to boot up the VM, I get an error about "Insufficient Resources" with not further explanation.

I'm trying to basically just make ESXi a thin layer between the VM and the host and allocate as many resources as possible to the VM. I feel like I'm running my head into a brick wall. Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Remove the resources reservation at the host level and work with the reservation at the VM settings page. I think that you have reserved more resources at the host that the VM will need to power on and that's why it's telling you that you have not enough resources to power on the VM.

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

VMware vExpert 2010 - VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My company Blog (Wetcom Group Blog)

Follow me on Twitter

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

MLustfield
Contributor
Contributor

I just figured it out. I was setting resource allocation in the wrong spot. The correct way:

1. Host > Resource Allocation tab > View: Memory

2. Set Reservation to correct size

That's sooooo much easier than what I was trying to do and actually works. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos