VMware Cloud Community
pcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

Trigger snapshot creation and restoration from within guest OS?

Hi,

I have an ESXi 5.5.0 running a CentOS 6.5 guest. Is there a way for the guest to ask the ESXi hypervisor to take a snapshot of itself (the guest)? Similarly, is there a way for the guest to ask to be restored to a previous snapshot? Thanks.

Patrick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Not sure if there is some "trigger", but you could always write small shell-script for this (ssh from vm to esxi and fire up snapshot/backup or whatever you want). You can find some inspiration in ghettovcb script (or simply let ghettovcb on esxi as it is, and call it up from remote ssh-session).

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

I don't think we have an option to do that from inside guest OS.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
pcoyne
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Jarry and Sureshkumar. I'm working on a virtual appliance that will be running on our customer's ESXi infrastructure, so I don't think SSH'ing into the hypervisor is an option, since we will not know each customer's login information (though I guess we could ask for it).

Sounds like there is no official support for this then. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Patrick

0 Kudos