VMware Cloud Community
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trick question about virtual processors and ESXi 5.1

Hello everyone,

I have a new client and he is driving crazy. He wants to do things with VMWare that is not possible (in my opnion).

The last architecture adventure of my client is:

Using VMWare ESXi 5.1, create a new Windows 2008 virtual machine. I added two virtual processors in that virtual machine.

Until this steps no problem, but he want to dedicate 1 vitual processor to OS and the another virtual processor to application. I don't believe if that is possible once the VMWare environment only delivery the processors to virtual machine. In my opnion if that is possible need to be a tool from the Guest OS no from VMWare.

He said that he already saw that kind of configuration in another clients. I'm working with VMWare about 6 years since ESX 2.x, I'm VCP2, VCP3, VCP4 and VCP5 and never see this kind of configuration.

He want do to that because the applications is licensed by processors.

I tryed to perform some tests, using Vapps, resource pools and I can see this option on vSphere.

Anyone knows if it is really possible? Using new ESXi 5.1 can I create this kind of configuration?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I don't believe this is possible.

Why not add one vCPU with multiple cores - this should get around the licence cost concerns (assuming it is licenced per socket)?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I don't believe if that is possible too. I'm only asking because I want external opinions about that.

The software is licensed by physical processors/Sockets.

The big client concern is the license price, so he is asking about this crazy solution. :smileygrin:

Thanks

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

The software is licensed by physical processors/Sockets.

Are you saying this is licenced on the number of physical processors/sockest of the host, rather than of the VM that it resides on? or will my previous suggestion work to mitigate this cost?

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Software is licenced by Physical/Socket on Virtual Machine not of ESXi host.

The problem is not the license application, my major doubt is about the environment that my clien affirms to be possible using two virtual processors in same VM one used by OS and another one to APP. That I don't believe to be possible to execute.

Unfortunately I didn't suggested this environment, client saw that in somewhere and want to replicate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Perhaps your client is thinking of the native OS processor affinity?

Start task manager within your guest, right click the process, select processor affinity, and select a specific processor which the process is allowed to use (leave all others deselected);

OS-Processor-Affinity.png

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Never heard about such a feature.
If your customer insists on doing this tell him you found the solution.

<joke-mode on>

Give him this xml file and ask him to add his VMs that need this special treatment.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ConfigRoot>

<ConfigEntry id="0001">  
   <mode>aggressiv</mode>
    <vmxCfgPath>/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/VMxy/VMxy.vmx</vmxCfgPath>
    <vCPU1>os</vCPU1>
    <vCPU2>applications</vCPU2>
  </ConfigEntry>

<ConfigEntry id="0002">  
   <mode>lazy</mode>
    <vmxCfgPath>/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/VMyy/VMyy.vmx</vmxCfgPath>
    <vCPU1>auto</vCPU1>
    <vCPU2>auto</vCPU2>
    <vCPU3>auto</vCPU3>   
    <vCPU4>auto</vCPU4>
  </ConfigEntry>

</ConfigRoot>

Tell him that this function is no longer supported and for that reason not documented and that you went through a hell of work to find this.

When he comes back with the edited file doublecheck his edits and then upload the file as /etc/vmware/guestcpusched.xml.
Make sure the customer sees it and tell him the edits will become effective next time the VM is rebooted.

The xml will do no harm and will be gone after next reboot of the ESXi

<joke-mode off>

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

It could possibly be but it would stymie his environment, and would still only apply to the OS Smiley Wink

Ask you client how he would do this with a physical Windows box.  what he is asking for is not possible.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I am tempted to say go for it, and charge him extra. but it is unethical and part of our jobs as consultants is to educate people on the correct use and abilities of the products.

I wish you luck

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hehehehehe. Great solution!

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes Tom, that is my speech.

We have another meeting with client yesteday and we can convinced that is not a VMWare tool.

0 Kudos