VMware Cloud Community
G_Flane
Contributor
Contributor

Tools to console into VM for guests

Hey Guys,

My first post here on the VMWare community forum!

I have a question regarding the possibility of allowing guests to console into a particular VM. Consoling into the VM is no problem for the administrators. But we have VMs where we do not want to give an IP address to, so our guests can RDP into them. We want the guests to only have the console possibility of accessing the VM. We do not want to install Vsphere client on the PC that they are using. Or is this the only way? Or are there other possibilities to achieve this?

Let me know if it's clear to you what I'm trying to accomplish.

I appreciate your help and tips.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Which version of vCenter are you using? if you're running 5 then the vCenter Web Client sounds like a good solution to this.

0 Kudos
G_Flane
Contributor
Contributor

HI AGDave,

Thanks for the tip. We are currently using ESXi 4.1

Any option for this version?

0 Kudos
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi G_Flane,

What's the vCenter version? Is that also 4.1?

The web client in 5 is a lot more slicker, but if you're running on 4.x you could also try pointing your web browser too https://ip-of-your-vcenter-server/ and select the 'Log In To Web Access' link in the top right hand corner.

Providing that's been set up you could provide that to your users. You would also want to look into restricting access as well, ensuring they can only console to specified VM's and not able to make any configuration changes.

0 Kudos
G_Flane
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AGDave,

I don't have a lot of VMware experience. I don't think we are using Vcenter at all. We are only using Vsphere client to connect to the ESXi servers and manage the VM's that way. And we also use Converter tool to move VM's from one server to another sometimes. I guess we are limited in what we can do with what we are currently using?

0 Kudos
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi G_Flane,

Ah I see, so you're using standalone hosts with local storage?. If you browse to your esxi host via web browser does it list anything in the top right hand corner to manage that host? I can't quite remember with ESX(i) 4.x - I think you can just browse datastores for that host.

If so your only way to administer the host is through vCenter. If it helps you can really lock down what your users can see/do.

Sorry buddy.

0 Kudos
G_Flane
Contributor
Contributor

Hi AGDave,

You are right. I can only browse the datastore of that host. I don't see the option to manage the host.

Thanks for you help anyway!

0 Kudos