VMware Cloud Community
ABreitbach
Contributor
Contributor

Tools Update not recognized on Host

Hello,

I have updated about 40 hosts with vsphere lifecycle manager the last two weeks to 7.0.3 (Build 20328353). Everything runs fine. But I  did miss, that a critical tools update was not included inside those updates. 😵 I now have created a new tools update baseline which includes only this patch (VMWare Tools 12.1.0 Async Release).

The remediation of the first hosts also runs fine too. But the VMs still says that tools are up to date (current 12288). Despite that the hosts don’t request a reboot during the remediation, after one, the new tools are offered to the VMs.

Hopefully there is a way, how the hosts recognize the new tools version without a reboot and publish to the VMs.

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi , 

What is this advanced setting on the host is set to "advanced setting “UserVars.ProductLockerLocation 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
ABreitbach
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

should be the default as I never heard about this setting: /locker/packages/vmtoolsRepo/

Should I change this setting to something else? 

Some further news; I have 2 hosts where the update immediately offers the new tools to the VMs after remediation. Those two hosts are the newest in the environment. Same ESXi 7.0.3 build number as all others, but newer hardware. Also all hosts are installed with DELL custom images. All different, as I always download the actual image just in time.

Regards

0 Kudos
Flaschenhals
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.

vCenter and hosts updated to 7.0.3.

Created a patch baseline with the vmtools 12.1.0 asynch release and installed it on the hosts.

The VMs got the vmtools update, but the version is 12288 and not 12320. Also in windows the displayed version is 12.0.0 and not 12.1.0.

In another vmware environment I did the same and there erveryhting is running on 12320/12.1.0.

What could be the difference?

0 Kudos
ABreitbach
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the "advanced setting “UserVars.ProductLockerLocation " to another loction and copied the files. Without a reboot of the host, the VMS are still not aware of an update. So the location is not the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos