VMware Cloud Community
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

Time Configuration for host

I have configured NTP for my host but for some reason, time is never updated. And when my system is experiencing large time lag (45 mins. each day), this is really frustrating.

My system is a PC platform, based on a Gigabyte X-48 DQ6 motherboard, HPET disabled in BIOS. My guests is able to update time just fine, so there should be no firewall issues through my router.

Good suggestions is highly welcomed!

Thanks....

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

sveland wrote:

I have configured NTP for my host but for some reason, time is never updated. And when my system is experiencing large time lag (45 mins. each day), this is really frustrating.

My system is a PC platform, based on a Gigabyte X-48 DQ6 motherboard, HPET disabled in BIOS. My guests is able to update time just fine, so there should be no firewall issues through my router.

Good suggestions is highly welcomed!

Thanks....

The solution is quite obvious use another NTP server, it's apparent you either mistyped it, or it doesn't work.  google for NTP servers, there are HUNDREDS of them...

NTP works in ESX, it has NO known issues.

edit NTP, enable it, and set it to restart with host, it starts as soon as you click "OK".

also use the IP rather than name and verify you can ping from the host @ IP address..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you are using an external time server (URL), double check the ESXi host's network settings (gateway, DNS server, ...) to make sure the URL resolves correctly. You may also log in to the host's console and try to ping the NTP server's URL and/or IP address.

André

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

I have changed my ntp server to time.nist.gov, logged into the console on my host and ping'ed this ntp (using the dns name). I get my response back with ip address for this server but still, time is not updated.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you double check the time service on the host is running?

It may not make a difference, but you may want to select another time server ("All services available") from http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

André

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

André, thank you for trying to help me! I have tried another ntp server from one of those you suggested but still, time is not being updated. My time service is running as you can see from the pictures below.

1860722.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005092 does not list ESXi 5.0 (yet) it may be helpful to troubleshoot the time synchronization.

André

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

within the NTP settings in the GUI, you can see your time servers configured properly as well? Remember, when connecting to your ESXi Host using the vSphere Client, the time will reflect the system in which your vSphere Client Host OS has.  ESXi uses NTP

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

André, thank you for a very helpful response! However, I haven't got any further.... I followed the suggestions: Pinged the NTP from the ESXi console - this worked just fine. Next, I tried to capture the NTP traffic by use of tcpdump, as described. This showed no traffic at all. So it seems obvious that the NTP is reachacble, but my ntp daemon is not running, even though my vSphere client indicates that it is (ref. my screenshots in previous msg). Right now, I'm stuck - desperately in need for any help.

(My 2 guest servers - Windows and Linux, have no problems at all to sync with the same NTP as I try to use for my host)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is strange. Please double check whether port 123 (NTP) is open in the ESXi host's firewall settings (Configuration -> Security Profile).

André

PS: NTP - Port 123 - UDP (outgoing)

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can see, port 123 should be open:

1860722_1.png

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

sveland wrote:

(My 2 guest servers - Windows and Linux, have no problems at all to sync with the same NTP as I try to use for my host)

Are the guests on the same VLAN / IP network as the Vmkernel? Are there are any firewall between the host/guest and internet that might be have different configuration regarding the guest network and the host management?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

Both my host and my 2 guests are all in the same subnet (192.168.0.x). My firewall has the default setting in TomatoUSB (running off a Linksys E3000). In other words - both my host and my guests are meeting the same fw rules in my router.

1860722_2.png

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

Just a short update on this issue: NTP on my ESXi5 is actually working now. I can't tell you why, or how I fixed it, but I commented out all the "restrict" statements in my NTP.CONF file, restarted the NTP service - and my server started to get unstable. It crached a few times after 1-2 hours running, so I changed NTP.CONF back to its original state. And now it working! Weird, if I may say so....

0 Kudos
shishir08
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is always advisable to have the  guest OS synchronize there time  from NTP server,its an industry  standard and ensures accurate time  keeping in guest.When using NTP  server always make sure to disable the  VMware tools periodic time  synchronization. One more important thing  make sure that your host system is configured with the correct time and zone.

Even though the issue seems to be resolved as of now but If   issue still persists/comes in future  then it would be better to analyze the system for   some time and turn on some extra logging which may help you in deep   diving the problem.

0 Kudos
sveland
Contributor
Contributor

I am quite sure I have found the reason for the strange behaviour of my ESXi 5 server: I was running off a USB memory stick (host system - not the guests, they are all running from hard disks). Even though there were no complaints when installing, there is obviously issues with the USB controller. After reinstalling my host om a real disk, my system has been running smoothly, without any further issues.

Thank you anyone for good suggestions!

0 Kudos