VMware Cloud Community
rwh23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thoughts on new build

Wanted to upgrade my ESXi box and this is what I came up with. I also followed along witht the whitebox site.

AMD Phenom 9850 (AM2+) -Wish the H50 Cooler would work with this

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3

8GB DDR2 800 (Patriot Viper 2x2GB x2)

BFG 7950GT (Will be extra for this)

WD 500GB X2

WD 1.5TB X3 (in current setup)

Is the Raid 1 possible using the MB for the 2 500GB HDD's? I want to make sure my Datastore is redundant.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

At this point, I would only go with components that are on the HCL... Items like the RAID controller (hardware RAID, onboard controller most of the time use software RAID), Xeon 5300, Xeon 5400 or higher/newer processors, SAS hard drives all around. Video cards are irrelevent since anything will do the job as long as it has the correct connection for your display (I went with the cheapest option when getting my host). 8GB would be a bare minimum amount of memory, since that fills the memory slots in the cheap motherboard you selected, that's a huge red flag. You'd need a REAL NIC too, since the onboard (realtek) is unsupported.

You'd be better off picking up a reconditioned Dell Precision Workstation 490, 690, T5400 or T7400 or even one of the R series (rackmount workstations) than using what you've listed. Especially since you can get them with dual Xeon's (dual and quad cores per socket). They also come with 8 memory slots (at least) so you can easily go beyond 16GB of RAM. The onboard Broadcom NICs in those systems ARE supported. Of course, you'll want to install additional NICs.

Look on http://outlet.dell.com or http://outlet.us.dell.com inside the US... I just did and found several R5400 units listed that wouldn't need much modification to make a valid ESXi 4 host... I'd guestimate that for under two grand you can have a quality ESXi host that way...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
rwh23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your input. However I'm looking for a cheap upgrade compared to what I'm running ESXi on right now. And the parts listed is a big upgrade (currently running 8GB of RAM). The MB listed supports up to 16GB which I will eventually upgrade to when I have the need for it.

Also I meant to use dual Intel NIC's Intel PWLA8391GT (just forgot to list them).

All the part listed above (except the HDD's) are on the HCL on whitelist.com.

Ill look into getting a Hardware Raid Card as well.

Not really in the market to spend a couple k's on an ESXi server at the moment.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would buy 1x 1.5TB drive instead of the 2x 500GB's, then run RAID-10 across all four.

Note that to do this you'll need an array controller that can present multiple LUNs from RAID10, which not all can, because of the 2TB LUN size limitation on ESX.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
rwh23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 3 X 1.5TB are actually being used for storage for a WHS VM. (sorry wasn't clear on waht those were being used for)

Currently I only have 1 500GB datastore so there is no redundancy, hence I'd like a second one for that purpose.

0 Kudos