VMware Cloud Community
cawn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This virtual machine failed to become vSphere HA Protected and HA may not attempt to restart it after a failure.

Hello

We are getting this error for only one guest i a 4 node HA cluster: This virtual machine failed to become vSphere HA Protected and HA may not attempt to restart it after a failure. The 4 host have enough resources left.

Whay?

Error.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reconfigure HA for single host didn't work for me.

I had to disable & re-enable HA for the entire cluster per the KB Article.

Resolution for: This virtual machine failed to become vSphere HA Protected and HA may not attempt to restart it afte...

Hey, at least it's fixed in vCenter 6.0 Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is the specifications of the VM? as you probably know it "should" point to lack of resources

Migrating a virtual machine to another host using vMotion or DRS vMotion

This virtual machine failed to become vSphere HA Protected and HA may not attempt to restart it after a failure.

Not enough resources for a fail over. HA may not vMotion the virtual machine to another host. Upgrade the hardware on the hosts or add more hosts to the cluster.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
cawn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, and thanks for the replay. I also found that KB, but as I stated it is not a lack of resources.

0 Kudos
asbentos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

did you solve this issue?

I got the same.

Thanks

0 Kudos
asbentos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

did you solve this issue? I got the same problem.

My situation its:

0 Kudos
cawn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

Yes and no - I restartet management services on alle hostes i my cluster, and i help - the error is gone.

asbentos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apparently it did work! only restarting vcenter server machine.

Now says "is vsphere HA protected and HA will attempt to restart it after a failure"

Thanks

deepshah333
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Just right click on the host on which the VM belongs and select reconfigure for vSphere HA. It worked for me. Smiley Happy

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Deep Shah

0 Kudos
PrateekSangal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

got the same error,i go to particular esxi host and righ click then choose reconfigure for vSphere ha,issue got resloved

thanks

PRATEEK SANGAL

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reconfigure HA for single host didn't work for me.

I had to disable & re-enable HA for the entire cluster per the KB Article.

Resolution for: This virtual machine failed to become vSphere HA Protected and HA may not attempt to restart it afte...

Hey, at least it's fixed in vCenter 6.0 Smiley Happy

BARRESOFT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware manual says:

"Not enough resources for a fail over. HA may not vMotion the virtual machine to another host. Upgrade the hardware on the hosts or add more hosts to the cluster."

0 Kudos
ticpavlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

Rebooting vCenter appliance has solved my issues. Restaring hostd and vpxa agents on hosts did not. Haven't tried the "reconfigure for vSphere HA" method.

I am using:

vCenter Server Appliance: 6.5.0 / 5178943

ESXi's: VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 5146846

Tic Pavlin

0 Kudos
HAreconfigur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I have the same issue and all my vm machines are working, Is it possible to do HA reconfigure without shutdown vm machines or without down time?

or what is the risk  of reconfigure HA?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Disable HA on cluster and enable that again  check .

No downtime required  .  Reinitialize HA also can be done on ESXI hosts but above option I prefer

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!