VMware Cloud Community
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thin migrate VM's from 3.5 to 4.1?

As subject really, we currently have a cluster running 3.5 U4 and in a couple of months we're replacing the lot with a new cluster running 4.1.

Is there a way (offline I guess) to migrate the VM's across but to make the disks thin?

Lots of our VM's are created from the same 20gb VMDK template and obviously that's about 10-12gb wasted per VM on most of them.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can power down the guest and then migrate (choose change both host and datastore, or change datastore)... When you get to disk format, choose Thin Provisioned format

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can power down the guest and then migrate (choose change both host and datastore, or change datastore)... When you get to disk format, choose Thin Provisioned format

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh wow I really didn't expect it to be that simple (not got the new kit yet to be able to do any kind of testing of actually migrating).

So how does it deal with, say, a Windows VM that was filled with data, but most of the data was then deleted? Is it clever enough to work out that it only has to migrate (say) 5gb, or would it migrate all 19gb or whatever the "most full" was that it got?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would build out your new vCenter server and then remove the hosts from the 2.5 VirtualCenter and connect them to the 4.1 vCenter. You can manage the 3.5 hosts in vCenter 4.X. At this point you could then do Storage vMotion and change the VMDKs to Thin Provisioned. Remember that you will need to make sure that you upgrade VMware Tools on these VMs when you move them to a 4.1 host. Just migrate the VM to a 4.1 host then power it on, upgrade VMware Tools. After the upgrade of the tools is complete, power the VM off and upgrade the virtual hardware to v7. This will put you in a spot to make the changes and bring everything up to speed as well.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can use sdelete if there is to recover the space, if needed. Below is a good how to

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/vsphere-virtualization-vmware/vmware-esx-4-r...

hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks James, I hadn't dug too deep into exactly the best way to migrate since we're small enough that most VM's could be done offline, though I did figure I'd be making use of the "30 day trial" licenses with the new 4.1 stuff whether I joined them to the 2.5 vCenter or whether I joined the "old" hosts to the 4.1 vCenter.

I think being able to thinly migrate, combined with thin provisioning on the new SAN (HP P4000) will save us a shedload of disk space.

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to manage the 4.1 hosts in VirtualCenter 2.5. They can only be managed from vCenter 4.1. So you would have to connect your 3.5 hosts to the 4.1 vCenter installation.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy (and James), I seem to be unable to award more "Helpful" marks but cheers!

We'll only have Standard licenses, however I guess that guide still counts if you do the storage move offline so it could well come in useful.

James, makes sense on the vCenter stuff, I should have thought of that tbh as once I read it it's so obvious.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

also, if I missed the part of the question when you were going from one vCenter to another, my solution would not work. You could use VMware Converter.

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad we could point you in the right direction!

0 Kudos
hutchingsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK just to be clear we're not at cross-purposes, bring up a new 4.1 vCenter box, join the 3.5 hosts to it as well as the new hosts, then do a migration (live or offline) and just choose thin when prompted?

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds good to me.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, if you choose to disconnect and add the hosts into the new environment, then go from thick to thin, my solution will work.

0 Kudos