dkins2010
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Provisioning

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to create a Windows server VM with a C and a D partition but thin provision it. I want to give it 40 GB initially and assign 80 GB max. Is it possible to allow the D partition to grow?

If I assign 30 GB to C and then the remainder would go to D

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you select thin provisioning your VMDK file will grow from actual size to the specified maximum size.

Keep in mind that thin provisioning is just the virtual hardware part and has nothing to do with your partitioning inside of your VM i.e. your Windows installation.

1. Choose the maximum size of your VMDK file, in your example 80gb

2. During Windowssetup mandatory for your C:-Drive choose 30gb

3. During Windowssetup or after installation using Windows Disk Management choose the Space for your D:-Drive, in your example 50GB

The partitions in Windows will be 30gb and 50gb = total 80gb

But your VMDK files will be only the amount of the occupied space on your C:- and D:-Drive

Daniel

---

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you select thin provisioning your VMDK file will grow from actual size to the specified maximum size.

Keep in mind that thin provisioning is just the virtual hardware part and has nothing to do with your partitioning inside of your VM i.e. your Windows installation.

1. Choose the maximum size of your VMDK file, in your example 80gb

2. During Windowssetup mandatory for your C:-Drive choose 30gb

3. During Windowssetup or after installation using Windows Disk Management choose the Space for your D:-Drive, in your example 50GB

The partitions in Windows will be 30gb and 50gb = total 80gb

But your VMDK files will be only the amount of the occupied space on your C:- and D:-Drive

Daniel

---

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos