ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  There is no more space for virtual disk...... false positive?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 01:47 PM

I have one particular VM that is locking and I am presented:

"msg.hbacommon.outofspace: There is no more space for virtual disk veeam2.vmdk. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volumne, and clicking retry."

There is 1.44 TB of free space still on the datastore itself. The VM has a single vmdk that is 75GB and is thin provisioned. The used storage on the vmdk is only 35.3GB. There are no snapshots on this machine. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: There is no more space for virtual disk...... false positive?

Posted Sep 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Out of curiosity, if you SSH into the host, and run this:

df -h | egrep "(Used|$(readlink /vmfs/volumes/volume1))"

What does it report for free space? If it shows the volume out of space, then try restarting the management agents on the host, and see if vCenter updates accordingly. I've never seen it erroneously report insufficient space on VMFS volumes before (it's a known issue with NFS, though)...

• 3.  RE: There is no more space for virtual disk...... false positive?

Posted Oct 01, 2012 03:52 PM

I am sorry everybody. I did not realize this location had a second SAN that data stores were mapped to and it was full. Is there an easy way in Vcenter to see what ISCSI targets data stores are pointing at as the LUN number does not really do that much good on an HP CMC console.

• 4.  RE: There is no more space for virtual disk...... false positive?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 01, 2012 05:09 PM

From the vSphere client, if you right click the datastore -> Properties -> Manage Paths, it'll show the all the targets for a datastore.

• 5.  RE: There is no more space for virtual disk...... false positive?

Posted Oct 01, 2012 08:08 PM

Depending on what you're after, this might be a little easier. It'll probably run slowly if you don't limit the scope in a larger environment, and doesn't account for multi-extent datastores, but feel free to use if the GUI isn't giving you quite what you're after.

Edit: See attachment. Copy/paste is messing with the formatting.