VMware Cloud Community
Konstantin1987
Contributor
Contributor

The speed of copying Snapshots of VMware Esxi

Good afternoon to all!
We use VMware ESXi as a hypervisor (free version) To take backups of virtual machines, ghettoVCB is configured, which copies them to the HP StoreOnce 4500 network storage
We are faced with the fact that backup takes quite a long time ...
And although the channel speed is 1 Gbit/s, in fact (by monitoring the speed of the switch port via SNMP) it averages 230-250 Mbit/s, occasionally rising to 600 MBit/s. And the question arises: what can this be connected with and can it be defeated?
The snapshot actually consists not of a single file, but of a number of smaller ones, and when copying large files, the speed is high, but when copying small ones, it drops? Or could it have something to do with the performance of the server on which the snapshot is being taken? Or could it be something else? Please tell me what to do.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for ESXi, I have reported it to the volunteer moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos