VMware Cloud Community
Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

The selected physical network adapter is not associated with a vmkernel with complaint teaming and failover policy....

Setting up a new ESX5 server to communicate with a new Equalogic 6000E. The iSCSI SAN and connectivity look good, but I''m receiving  the following errors in ESXi5:

"The host bus adapter is not associated with a vmknic..."

"The selected physical network adapter is not associated with a vmkernel  with complaint teaming and failover policy."

Any Ideas? Have check VMWare and Equalogic  knowledgebases and not found anything particularly helpful.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

What specific steps have you taken so far?

What steps did you take so that you report that "iSCSI SAN and connectivity look good" in your post?

Are you trying to use the EQ MEM?

Which initiator are you using?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to bind physical adaptors to VMKernel ports, although by default it should bind your vSwitche's first physical adaptor to the VMkernel port. In ESXi 5, there is a way to do this in a GUI (Configuration - Storage Adaptors, Right click on your adaptor - properties, network configuration tab).

You also want to have a 1:1 ratio of VMkernel ports to physical adaptors. An EqualLogic 6000 series has 4 ports per controller, so you want 4 VMkernel ports, and 4 physical adaptors on your host. You want to set it so that any one vmkernel port can only use 1 network adaptor (set the failover order to 1 used, and one unused).

There's actually a fair amount of very good documentation on Dell's EQL support site how to set this up, as well as a number of posts on these threads.

Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

Tried to list which VMkernel ports were bound with...

#esxcfg swiscsi nic list –d vmhba##

Didn't work... Apparently needed to use:

esxcfg-swiscsi nic list –d vmhba##’

Result Nothing (assume this means nothing is bound)

Then tried to attach VMKernel interface to the software iSCSI initiator...

#esxcli swiscsi nic add –n vmk1 –d vmhba##
#esxcli swiscsi nic add –n vmk2 –d vmhba##

Results were:

“Disabling software iSCSI for next boot”

Rescanned (under the GUI) the iSCSI adapters, without any changes.

Realize some of these commands are outdated - perhaps part of problem?

0 Kudos
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think some of those commands are outdated, as I tried some of them recently, and they didn't seem to work, so I just did the GUI method.

Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

Equalogic SAN and PowerConnect switches are configured according to Dell specs, management interface works, and have not found any errors, at lesat loggin in via web interface. Installed HITVE -- but of course it isn't functional...

0 Kudos
Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - that's my take as well. Dell EQ support doesn't seem up on the GUI though, and seem still pretty 4.1 oriented...

0 Kudos
Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

That looks to possibly be the problem. I see VMK1 connected to vmnic2-vmnic5. Odd - think this auto-populated when I did the ESX5 install, I don't remember doing it -- and it isn't in my notes. Will try with 1:1 and see how thing sgo. Can always do it over at this point. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kuhal
Contributor
Contributor

The 1:4 relationship was the problem. As sson as I fixed that everything started to fall into place. Thanks!

0 Kudos