VMware Cloud Community
synlay
Contributor
Contributor

The redo log is corrupted / Consolidate error / Bad file descriptor (589833)

Hello VMware community,

after a system crash and replacement of a faulty hardware RAID controller I'm having trouble to get a VM back online. After trying to start the VM I'm getting the error message:

The redo log of datastoragevm-000001.vmdk is corrupted. If the problem still persists, discard the redo log.

Trying to consolidate the VM disks leads to the following error:

Consolidate virtual machine disk files: A general system error occurred: Input/output error

The originally snapshot file causing the error in the first place was datastoragevm-000001.vmdk before I created a new snapshot and tried to merge this back as described in a KB article. According to another KB article I've already tried to clone the vmdk with "vmkfstools --clonevirtualdisk datastoragevm-000002.vmdk datastoragevm-recovered.vmdk -d eagerzeroedthick" but this leads to the following error:

Clone: 15% done.Failed to clone disk: Bad file descriptor (589833).

Any help would be great.

Greets,

David

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest taking a backup of the existing snapshot vmdk and then recreate their descriptor as per steps available on KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026353    

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos