VMware Cloud Community
KonAdams70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The ramdisk 'var' is full

Hi guys.

I am thinking of doing a reboot of this host with the error message. Wanting to know is there anything else I can check prior to a reboot?

I am not sure how to get onto host to check which files are there.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KonAdams70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Amin,

A reboot of the host has resolved this issues for us.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Where is the placement of scratch log files?

you can find the local volumes (corresponding datastore for log files) via running the following command:

esxcli system syslog config get

Then check the "Local Log Output" path ...

It seems there is not enough space in that repository, so you can findout how much space you have in each of VMFS volumes by the following command:

df -h

Now here I suggest to find everything that is not necessary and clean-up the volume's unused spaces or move the log file directory to another volume/partition

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
KonAdams70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Amin,

Thank you for the reply.

I am very new to vSphere. Where/how do I run this command?

Is there an interface through vsphere that will allow me to run this command?

How do I find the placement of scratch log files?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Your welcome kon,

To run the esxcli command (and other ones) you need to have a Shell or SSH access to the ESXi host. You can find both of them in the configure>system>services

So after a successful SSH login to the ESXi with an application like Putty or SecureCRT, you can run them.

But anyway you can find log settings in the vSphere GUI clients, in the following path

configure>system>Advanced System Settings

Client on Edit and search for logDir criteria, then you can find the related datastore for the log files directory

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
KonAdams70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Amin,

If you are referring to using Putty to SSH into one of my HP server's (Host) I can do that but when I run those commands I get nothing.

I also looked at the log settings as you mentioned and can see the following.

Syslog.global.logDir     [] /scratch/log

Im not sure if that looks right.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Syslog.global.logDir [] /scratch/log

If you have another datastore that has enough free space, please change the path via filling that datastore name inside the []

However check the following like, they will guide you to check the free space of all VMFS :

VMware Knowledge Base

Ramdisk is full, no space left on root

0 Kudos
KonAdams70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Amin,

A reboot of the host has resolved this issues for us.

Thanks.

0 Kudos