VMware Cloud Community
gmoro
Contributor
Contributor

The operation on file "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/test.vmdk" failed. ESXi 6.0

Hi,

I'm using a image created using qemu-img and I get "The operation on file "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/test.vmdk" failed. ...." in the WebUI and I can see this errors in VMWare log in the host

2018-01-18T14:17:51.553Z| Worker#0| I120: FileIOErrno2Result: Unexpected errno=12, Cannot allocate memory 

2018-01-18T14:17:51.553Z| vmx| I120: VMXAIOMGR: Retry on read "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/2828f296-test-s001.vmdk" : Cannot allocate memory. 

2018-01-18T14:17:51.553Z| vmx| I120: VMXAIOMGR: system : err=c0002 errCode=12 freeSpace=0 

2018-01-18T14:17:51.553Z| vmx| I120: VMXAIOMGR: "/vmfs/devices/deltadisks/2828f296-test-s001.vmdk" : read s=42949279744 n=131072 ne=1, fai=0 

2018-01-18T14:17:51.553Z| vmx| I120: VMXAIOMGR: v[0]=B802B9B8000:131072 

The image sometimes start the boot process and hang before is fully booted, other times it gives this error immediately before even GRUB finished loading.

Using vmkfstools -x check show no errors in the disk image. Also importing the image makes the image work, but I want to get the image working from the original.

For context, the image is using the IDE controller, and was created with monolithicSparse type. One other detail is that when I run the image the system split the disk  metadata automatically moving the main image to a file suffixed with "-s001" in the file name and it changes the metadata from createType="monolithicSparse" to createType="twoGbMaxExtentSparse".

Does anyone have any pointers on how to figure out what the problem is exactly?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please check the KB article as the error out of memory messages is similar to the below kb

FileIOErrno2Result: Unexpected errno=12, Cannot allocate memory

VMware Knowledge Base

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
gmoro
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer, the system is a test system has no other VM's running at the moment, and I checked the heap size, is in the default of 256 mb

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you check the vmkernel and hostd log when trying to power on ..which can give us some more information about why it is failing to power on

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
I have seen this quite often last months.
The trick is to clone the disk once via vmkfstools -i current.vmdk new.vmdk
ESXi can handle this type of vmdks but will not create snapshots - so backing up such a disk via Veeam&Co is impossible.
Once converted into standard "VMFS" format and your problems will be history.
Ulli

0 Kudos
gmoro
Contributor
Contributor

Attached the relevant parts of the log

0 Kudos
gmoro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I wanted to avoid the cloning, qemu-img should be able to create a compatible images, otherwise a fix should be made on it, in my use case I can't really depend on the vkmfstools

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

quemu-img creates a descriptorfile that will not work. It will create a flat.vmdk that is fine but the descriptor needs manual editing.

0 Kudos