VMware Cloud Community
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

'The operation is not allowed in the current state' message when deleting folder

I'm testing out ESXi 5.5 and mounted an NFS export-based datatsore in an effort to test out redirecting my ScratchConfig to this location. I've found that I can create a folder in the NFS datasore fine but, when I attempt to delete it, I get a message that states 'The operation is not allowed in the current state'. This occurs on any of the folders/sub-folders and the only account being used is Root - I've also confirmed that permissions on these directory's is drwxr-xr-x.

As suggested by KB1003829 which is somewhat helpful but not really, I have restarted the management agents on the host but it's made no difference. Has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got this resolved by stumbling upon the right guid for the NFS datastore. Only after clicking around in WinSCP and realizing that the NFS datastore had some secondary, shorter guid - I then tried to delete the original test directory again and it worked.

On a separate but similar note I then tried to update my scratch config location by applying that same guid with the command "vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation string /vmfs/volumes/[guid]/logs" (followed by a host reboot) and it also worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got this resolved by stumbling upon the right guid for the NFS datastore. Only after clicking around in WinSCP and realizing that the NFS datastore had some secondary, shorter guid - I then tried to delete the original test directory again and it worked.

On a separate but similar note I then tried to update my scratch config location by applying that same guid with the command "vim-cmd hostsvc/advopt/update ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation string /vmfs/volumes/[guid]/logs" (followed by a host reboot) and it also worked.

0 Kudos