VMware Cloud Community
usmansiddiqui
Contributor
Contributor

The license key entered does not have enough capacity for this entity

Hi,

I have few ESX servers in my vcenter inventory whose evluation periods have expired, they are in disconnected mode.Question is can I reconnect them by just entering the keys without any reinstallation.Because, upon entering the keys (advanced esx licenses) I am getting this error

"The license key entered does not have enough capacity for this entity"

I searched this error on web and found out that this issue occurs if ESX host has more CPUs than the license has capacity for. But my ESX host has two physical CPUs and I am entering the key after combining two license keys (it shows "for 2 CPUs" on portal)

Has this error something to do with the expiration of evaluation period and i would have to do reinstallation of ESX???

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Usually you enter a new key at any time.

Where did you enter the key? On the host itself or in vCenter Server?

You should add the key in the vCenter Server GUI first and from there assign it to the host. This way you will see the key's "capacity" and edition in vCenter before you assign it.

Another issue could be, that on the host in question one or more features of a higher edition (Enterprise or Enterprise Plus) are in use. You will have to find out and remove/deactivate these features before you can apply the Advanced license.

André

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would recommend you assign the key through vCenter if you are not doing so already. Also, it sounds like you are possibly using a feature that requires an Enterprise or Enterprise Plus license on the said host. Verify that you aren't using some particular feature that is only provided via an Enterprise or Enterprise Plus License. I would bet that the host is probably being added as a part of a DRS cluster which requires Enterprise licensing. The only other thing I could think of that might be in use is the vNetwork Distributed Switch which is a Enterprise Plus licensed feature.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have license for 4.x server they're for 1 CPU.

For server with multipleCPU you have to bind them .

You have to go to vmware's license site and bound as many single cpu license to obtain a new license for the total cpu count of your server

HTH

Stefano

0 Kudos