VMware Cloud Community
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

The host bus adapter is not associated with a vmknic (Software)

I am getting the following error

"The host bus adapter is not associated with a vmknic. To configure targets the adapter should be associated with a vmknic.  The host bus adapter is not associated with a vmknic. To configure targets the adapter should be associated with a vmknic. Refer to the VMware documentation to associate the adapter with a vmknic"

I followed the steps outlined below to associate the adapter with VMK1.

• Add the Physical Network Interface as a binding to the Software iSCSI HBA device.

To add the Physical Network Interface as a binding to the Software iSCSI HBA device:

Note: This example uses the Software iSCSI HBA vmhba32.
  1. List the currently-bound Network Interfaces to the Software iSCSI HBA by running this command:

# esxcli swiscsi vmnic list -d vmhba32

2. List the network interfaces that are currently available on the ESX host using this command:

# esxcfg-vmknic -l

3. Identify the interface(s) that you want to bind.

4. Bind the network interface(s) to the Software iSCSI HBA device using this command:

# esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk0 -d vmhba32
    My Command: esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba39    

1. But when I try to bind the Nic I keep getting an error.   VMHBA39 is the software Initiator.  The NICS are Broadcom NC382i Intergrated.     I also have Broadcom NC382T PCI Nics that I have not tried yet, but would like to use the intergrated ones if I can.

5. Verify that the network interface(s) are successfully bound to the HBA using this command:

# esxcli swiscsi vmnic list -d vmhba32

6. Rescan the storage adapter to discover any changes using this command:

# esxcfg-rescan vmhba32

Anyhelp would be grateful.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

Couple questions here....

1- What are you trying to do?

2- What type of hardware is this?

3 - What version of VMware are you running?

-Cheers-

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

1. trying to connect to my NAS.  I have one host running Vmware 4.0 that is and has been connected to the NAS for a few months.

2. Purchased a 2nd host HP DL385 G7 and it is running vmware 4.1 and I am trying to attach it to the iscsi host.

thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

What type of NAS and what type of connections are being used? 1 gig, 10 gig? Built in iSCSI adapter or something else?

Also, are these built in NIC ports or PCIe added nic ports? HP's are very touchy about having all the newest drivers, firmware and such installed before things like to work.

Built in or not, do they show up as nic cards under the Network Adapters view in the configuration tab?

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

Nic's built into the Host, 1 gig.  as mentioned I have two other nics I can try, but would like to use these if possible,  Yes, they show up as NIC's and everything is working fine... just can't attach to the NAS. I will lok into making sure all firmware is up to date,

Jeff

0 Kudos
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

Once you've got the newest firmware and drivers installed for all the hardware, try a reinstall of the ESXi, since it only takes 15 minutes or so and start from the ground up.

0 Kudos