VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

Hi All,

On one of the VMs I am getting below error in the event logs.

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

Do we run chkdsk on VM ? How do I go about this issue

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dhanarajramesh

this would normally happened when you do storage vmotion on less bandwith connection or/and snpshot consolidation on low end storage data store such as NFS.  during this time, your virtal will not be available for few seconds.  so you no need to run any check disk on windows. if it's occur again then u can do check disk but before that always make sure you should have right data store

0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Vaibhav,

First thing here is, why should a Virtual Disk have bad sectors? A Virtual disk is nothing but a file. So the problem is in the underneath components, before we go ahead please let us know below,

1. ESXi host version?

2. Disk size from the vCenter?

3. Was this VM ever converted from P2V?

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If I get that message I run chkdsk /f /x /r inside the VM - that will start checkdisk on next boot if the C: partition is affected.

If that does not help - power off the VM and clone the vmdk with vmkfstools -i.
Best clone into a eagerzeroed thick vmdk.

When the clone finishes without error you can regard the vmdk as healthy - inside the guest run chkdsk /f /x /r again if the error is still reported.

Recently I saw vmdks with bad blocks more often - especially if the vmdks are stored on SSD drives

0 Kudos