VMware Cloud Community
eeciii
Contributor
Contributor

The data area passed to a system call is too small

Running esxi 4.1 update1 with a few Windows XP and 2003 guests.   These guests were moved into vsphere via VMware Workstation 6.5.  These guests behave very well except when I try to download files via HTTP sites or do a RDP copy and paste.    The download or paste starts then, within a few megabytes, the copy fails with the exception of "the data area passed to a system call is too small".

I have updated the vmtools, made the memory larger - but to no avail.    Interesting enough, I can copy files to these guests if I use a shared drive from FreeNAS running on another computer.

Any ideas of how to solve this issue?

running esxi 4.1 update 1 on as host on AMD Althon X4 with 8 MB of memory.   The license a vSphere 4 Hypervisor license for 1 physical CPU 1-6 cores.    The Windows guest have 1GB of RAM allocated.   Only running 2 VM's concurrently.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kbarnes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into this issue as well. We can replicate it on Win 2003 and 2008, but only on VMs. Physical servers work fine.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Welcome to the communities,

From what I can gather, is that that the error you are receiving is very little due to VMware, but mainly because of XP. Do check if you have any backup solutions running else, confirm if firewall is not blocking the same.

Also, I wanted to confirm one thing, when you are doing a rdp copy, are you doing within the VMS of same vSwitch. So that we could eliminate the involvment of network lag.

Can you also tell us the network card you have provided for the VMs, e1000 or vmxnet3 or flexible?

0 Kudos
eeciii
Contributor
Contributor

The same issue was seen with linux images when doing large file uploads via http or with windows xp guests downloading from internet. I suspect a incompatibily with esxi 4 with build gigabyte mb with amd2 or with nic but pci intel nic.

Have built new sandy bridge box which runs esxi 5 just fine and reimaged the amd box to win7 with vm wkstation 8.

0 Kudos