VMware Cloud Community
mr_vaughn
Contributor
Contributor

The correct way to expand an array of an ESXi 4.0 server?

I have been on the communities for hours trying to find the correct method to add more storage to my existing ESXi 4.0 server.

I have the following. HP DL360 G6 with Smart Array P410i controller with 6x 146Gb 10K disks in 1 LUN of RAID10.

Default ESXi install. DataStore is about 440Gb in size.

GOAL : I want to add 2 more disks into the RAID10 array and expand it and then extent/expand the existing datastore.

I have seen various methods no how to do this.

1. Using Offline HP ACU to add the 2 disks and expand the array then go into scan storage and extent the datastore.

2. Using ACU linux install and doing it live with ESXi running. (mostly older versionsof ESX/i 3.0 and 2.5)

3. some other methods also using ACU but using other boot tools and messing with the partitions.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the HP tools will hotexpand an array, you can do that with no problems. By doing a rescan, ESX should see the new available space.

This blog post shows you how to expand you vmfs volume with esx 4. NOTE: This is not adding an Extent, but actually growing the volume.

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/03/26/resizing-your-vmfs-the-right-way-exploring-the-next-version-...

0 Kudos