VMware Cloud Community
ANSA
Expert
Expert

The cluster cannot be configured with the selected Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode; CPU features disabled by that mode may currently be in use by powered-on or suspended virtual machines in the cluster."

I am creating a new infrastructure comprising two HP DL380 hosts with ESX 4.1i.  The virtual center server is a VM on one of the hosts.

The old infrastructure comprises two IBM 3850s with ESX 4.0.  The virtual center is a physical server

I am at the point where I need to migrate the VMs from the old infrastructure to the new HP hosts.

After disconnecting one of the IBMs from its Virtual Center and added it to the new Virtual Center, I tried to do a migration and received a messege about CPU incomaptabality.  I tried to enable evc and received this message

"The cluster cannot be configured with the selected Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode; CPU features disabled by that mode may currently be in use by powered-on or suspended virtual machines in the cluster."

The only VM in the cluster is the Virtual Center server.

How do I get around this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

"The cluster cannot be configured with the selected Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode; CPU features disabled by that mode may currently be in use by powered-on or suspended virtual machines in the cluster."

In order to enable EVC you will have to shutdown the VM which is using the CPU features. In your case it is vCenter. Shutdown vCenter and cold migrate it to new server and power it ON. But do check this KB for vMotion compatibility.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

Give me processor name I can confirm if you need to?

Thank you

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert

The DL 380 processor is Intel Xeon E5630 @2.53 GHz.  The IBM 385 processor is Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz

I have found this KB which I believe explains my situation:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1013111&sl...

0 Kudos