VMware Cloud Community
pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

The Vsphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses.

Hi,

I have created a new cluster with 3 hosts (A,B,C) and enable HA/DRS on that cluster. I managed to build the autolab with 3 ESXi hosts part of Vsphere 5.5.

Now I am facing issue i.e. out of 3 hosts... 2 hosts are showing that "The Vsphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses." whereas the 3rd ESXi host is fine. 

I tried to reconfigure the HA but still it's getting the same issue and when I set 1 ESXi host to maintenance mode then the HA works fine with 2 hosts but not with all 3 hosts in the cluster.

Below are some more details:

The vMotion migrations failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over the vMotion network. Check the vMotion network settings and physical network configuration. vMotion migration [-1408186613:1502279704441717] failed to create a connection with remote host <172.16.199.12>: The ESX hosts failed to connect over the VMotion network Migration [-1408186613:1502279704441717] failed to connect to remote host <172.16.199.12> from host <172.16.199.11>: Host is down The vMotion failed because the destination host did not receive data from the source host on the vMotion network. Please check your vMotion network settings and physical network configuration and ensure they are correct.

Anybody seen this issue before and knows how to resolve it?

Any help will be appriceated.

13 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Disbale IPv6 and then recheck.

0 Kudos
pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot Vijay for the updates.

Do I need disable in all 3 hosts or just 2 of the ESXi hosts and also it should be in disabled post test?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Disable it on one of affected host and check if warning has gone, if it still there then restart management network once.

0 Kudos
pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Vijay,

I have disabled the IPV6 and also set the host to maintenance mode and even restarted the esxi host but still receiving the same issues on 2 of the esxi hosts.Even tried the same on 3rd host but still getting the same issues.

My only doubt is when we have just 2 hosts within the cluster it works fine but when the 3rd host come live, 2 of the hosts start getting the warning of HA.

Note: One more observation, after every 5-10mts all 3 hosts works fine with HA but again after some kind of poll again 2 hosts gets the issues.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What admission control settings you have configure. Can you post snippet.

0 Kudos
pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Enclosed are the further updates for admission control settings & host isolation details.Also attached the entire LAB's network config details.

0 Kudos
Halo1
Contributor
Contributor

you try pinging the VMkernel (using vmkping) from the esxi hosts

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Seems to be network configuration issue. Are all hosts on same network ? Gateway is reachable from all 3 hosts !

On affected hosts, run below command and paste output here.

esxcli network diag ping -I vmk0 -H 10.27.51.132

replace vmk0 with VMkernel port number you are using for management network on that host and IP with other two host's IPs.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Couple of things: 1. Do you have management enabled on other vmkernel interfaces? 2. Do all hosts use the same vmkernel interface for management traffic? 3. Can all hosts ping the default gateway from the management vmkernel interface?

pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Friends,

I have rechecked all options i.e.

1. Do you have management enabled on other vmkernel interfaces? - Yes Mgmt enabled on vmkernel interface

2. Do all hosts use the same vmkernel interface for management traffic? - yes it's use vmk0 on all 3 hosts

3. Can all hosts ping the default gateway from the management vmkernel interface?- yes all hosts ping the default gateway

also attached the command details for esxcli network diag ping -I vmk0 -H 192.168.199.12... really not getting why randomly it's picking 2 servers out of HA.

0 Kudos
pjaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Friends,

Can you please help me in understanding the issues behind this behavior...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

MTU is configured consistently? Also, when issues like these persist: phone up support and provide them the logs.

RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Check the network connectivity , if there more packet drops it could be a reason .

Another could be the esxi image you have installed have some issue , that you have to reinstall/upgrade .

Put one by one host maintenance mode and monitor for some time to trace which host is creating issue.

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos